January 6, 2017
January 3 Members Matter Recording
Did you miss the Members Matter on January 3? In additional to Leslie Bednar, Ellen Popit, and Susan Palmer highlighting what was happening at the system, other topics of interest included:
- Annual Certification Process
- Illinois Budget
- Upcoming Events
- Legislative Meetups
- Youth Services Institute
- Reaching Forward South
- IHLS Members Day
- SHARE Semi-Annual Meeting
- Open IHLS Board Positions
- New Laws in Illinois
- What’s Happening @ Your Library
- Announcements from the Illinois State Library
Since Zoom was added as an option to attend the meeting, we were able to record the session. We are sorry that the first 25 minutes were not recorded. Listen to Recording
Do you have a topic for the next meeting on March 7th? Contact Ellen Popit (firstname.lastname@example.org | 618-985-3711 ext. 624).
Delayed Start on January 5
On Thursday, January 5, IHLS offices had a delayed start due to the inclement weather. The drivers also left our buildings later than usual. Hopefully you received a text message letting you know about the delay. If not, the information on the IHLS Text Messaging System is located on the Office Hours page. IHLS will send out text alerts for weather delays, building closings, and route changes.
The Library Closings page of the IHLS website includes:
- Polaris Library Closings Form - This form lets us change settings in Polaris so your closed days are not counted against your patrons for return dates and late fee assessments.
- No Delivery Days Form - This is for our Delivery Team. This form allows your delivery hub to know which days you DO NOT want them to deliver to your building.
- Unscheduled/Emergency Closings - The purpose of this form is to let other libraries know when your library is closed. This does not alert IHLS of your unscheduled closing.
IHLS currently has a position posted on the IHLS website. Find this position as well as job openings with other libraries on the Library Jobs tab. To add a job posting to the IHLS jobs page for your library, please send to email@example.com.
Library Days and Dates to Remember, 2017-2018
Just a reminder that ILA requested attorney Phillip Lenzini of Kavanagh, Scully, Sudow, White & Frederick, P.C., to prepare a calendar of key dates for filing public notices and/or various actions required by municipal (city, village, and incorporated town) libraries. The list contains preliminary dates as well as deadlines, and deals with such things as electing trustees, budget filings, annual reports, and numerous other required filings. Click here to download the document.
Annual Online Library System Certification
The portal is open and libraries can now complete the annual online certification required of all library system members in order to qualify for continuing system services and grant programs from the Illinois State Library. The window for certification will close March 31, 2017.
Libraries are required to complete the ILL ILLINET Traffic Survey before completing certification. The ILL ILLINET Traffic Survey can be completed any time prior to the certification deadline, March 31.
More information about certification is available at the State Library’s Annual Library Certification Web page. The page includes a link to the data and questions included in the certification form, a link to the online certification portal (accessible from Jan. 3–March 31), FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions), a pre-recorded webinar that reviews the annual certification process and a document outlining Library Data Entry Guidelines to use in completing the certification form.
Logging in to the certification portal requires the agency’s Control Number and the main administrative branch number. These numbers can be obtained by searching the library agency’s record on L2. For more information on the certification process, please call Ellen Popit at IHLS or Pat Boze at the Illinois State Library.
Public Library Per Capita and Equalization Aid Grant Applications Due Jan. 15
ILA Legislative Meetups
As the calendar year begins to wind down, the ILA Advocacy Committee invites you and your trustees to make a New Year’s resolution to register before the end of year for the upcoming legislative meet-ups (https://www.ila.org/events/legislative-meet-ups). This year, there are three that cover IHLS libraries!
- ***NEW*** Monday, February 27, 2017 – Southern Illinois Library Legislative Lunch
Holiday Inn, 222 Potomac Blvd., Mt. Vernon, IL 62864
- Friday, March 3, 2017 – Metro East Library Legislative Breakfast
Sunset Hills Country Club . 2525 Illinois 157, Edwardsville, IL 62025
- Friday, March 3, 2017 – Central Illinois Library Legislative Lunch
Bloomington-Normal Marriott Hotel, 201 Broadway Ave., Normal, IL 61761
LibraryLearning (L2): Updating Staff & Trustee Information
Is your LibraryLearning (L2) profile up-to-date? L2 serves as the official statewide directory of libraries and library professionals. All library staff members need to have a profile on L2 and to check it for accuracy.
Library directors are encouraged to view their library’s profile to ensure that all information is current. Visit www.librarylearning.info to check your profile. Directors should look up their library building using Find Libraries, then check their library's record for accuracy. Directors should also view the staff and trustee list to ensure everyone listed is still affiliated with their library as an employee or board member and that all information is correct.
Please feel free to direct any questions to Ellen Popit (firstname.lastname@example.org | 618-985-3711 x 624).
Grants, Awards & Scholarships
A list of available grants are posted on the IHLS website. Here you will find information on grants suitable for libraries that you might be interested in applying for.
- United for Libraries/Thrift Books Friend Conference Grant – Deadline: January 9, 2017
- Digital Humanities Advancement Grants (NEH) – Deadline: January 11, 2017
- FY17 Live & Learn Construction Grant (ISL) – Deadline: January 13, 2017
- Public Library Per Capita and Equalization Grants (ISL) – Deadline: January 15, 2017
- Future of Libraries Fellowship (ALA) – Deadline: January 15, 2017
- Digitization for Small Institutions Scholarships for Illinois Archivists (ISHRAB) – Deadline: January 16, 2017
- Will Eisner Graphic Novels Grants for Libraries (ALA) – Deadline: January 20, 2017
- NEA Big Read Grants – Deadline: January 26, 2017
- Jesse H. Shera Awards (ALA) – Deadline: January 31, 2017
In the News
- “But that’s not a real book!” – Why your collection should include graphic novels
- Dupo community raises money to help struggling public library (Daugherty PL)
- OIF revamps reporting tools for library hate crime and material challenges
- Culinary Literacy: Approaches and programming ideas
- In memoriam 2016
- New Year, new ideas: Knockout programming for 2017
- Free January webinars for library staff
- St. Elmo wins Cavaletto’s summer reading program
- Municipal Minute: A recap of the top 10 posts of 2016
- Libraries struggle to reach entire Champaign-Urbana Community
- Metro-east library plans to move into former school building (Lebanon PL)
- Libraries see cardholder numbers decline (Champaign, Urbana, Rantoul)
- Library recommendations for Best Gift Books (Champaign PL)
If there is a news story about your library, email the link to email@example.com with “Moving Forward” in the Subject Line so it can be included in the next newsletter.
The December 28, 2016, issue of the ILA E-Newsletter includes:
- Bloomington is Not Normal
- ILA Member Spotted on CBS Evening News
- The Budget Impasse Impact on Our State
- Upcoming Events
- Job Opportunities
- In The News
Free Webinars & Workshops
- Free January Webinars for Library Staff (WJ)
- 2017 ALA Carnegie Shortlist Finalists (Booklist) – January 10, 2017
- Preschool Storytime Basics (TSL) – January 10, 2017
- Service Excellence in Challenging Times (WJ) – January 11, 2017
- How to Implement Things When People Hate Change (SirsiDynix) – January 11, 2017
- Using Digital Public Library of America for Research and Learning (Infopeople) – January 11, 2017
- Adult Literacy Grant: Adult Volunteer Literacy (ISL) – January 12, 2017
- Adult Literacy Grant: Workplace Skills Enhancement (ISL) – January 12, 2017
- Adult Literacy Grant: Penny Severns Family Literacy (ISL) – January 12, 2017
- Outcome Measurement Made Easy (PLA) – January 12, 2017
- Your Guide to Reporting Censorship (ALA) – January 12, 2017
- What is Bioinformatics Librarianship? (NNLM) – January 12, 2017
- The Power to Delight: Providing Extraordinary Service (CSL) – January 12, 2017
Upcoming Events in Library Learning
Register in L2: www.librarylearning.info
Tuesday, January 10, 2017
- SHARE Catalogers Training Session, Adobe Connect
- eRead Illinois: Axis 360 Shared Collection, GoToMeeting
Wednesday, January 11, 2017
- SWAYS Meeting, Glen Carbon Centennial Library
- SHARE Semi-Annual Meeting, Zoom
Thursday, January 12, 2017
- FY18 Adult Volunteer Literacy Grant Information, Adobe Connect
- eRead Illinois: Axis 360 Browser Based Reader, GoToMeeting
- Book Cataloging, IHLS Champaign & Marion Carnegie
- FY18 Workplace Skills Enhancement Grant, Adobe Connect
- FY18 Penny Severns Family Literacy Grant, Adobe Connect
Wednesday, January 18, 2017
- Northern Directors Meeting, Watseka PL
- Southern Illinois Public Library Directors Meeting, Stinson Memorial LD
Thursday, January 19, 2017
- Barcoding I—Searching and Matching, Forsyth PL
- Cooperative Collection Development Meeting, Red Bud PL
- Book Cataloging, Olney PL
- Barcoding II—Item Records, Forsyth PL