June 2, 2017
MyMediaMall Annual Meeting
The MyMediaMall Annual Meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, June 14, 2017. The meeting will be held in-person at the IHLS-Champaign office and will be available via both VTEL and Zoom. Staff members from MyMediaMall libraries should register in L2 whether you plan to attend in-person or virtually.
IHLS Annual Meeting – June 20, 2017
All library staff, boards, and friends of IHLS are invited to attend the 2017 Annual Meeting on Tuesday, June 20, 2017. The meeting begins at 4 p.m. at our Carbondale office and light refreshments will be served. Please register in L2.
After the Annual Meeting you are welcome to attend the IHLS Board Meeting which begins at 5 p.m.
All IHLS Public Libraries Required to Complete Non-Resident Fee Survey
IHLS is required to maintain a list on the IHLS website of non-resident program information from IHLS public libraries and to indicate whether or not a library participates in the non-resident fee program and what that fee is. Each year IHLS asks all IHLS public libraries for this information.
More information and a link to the survey can be found on the IHLS website: http://illinoisheartland.org/?q=members/non-resident-fee.
The deadline for completion of the survey is June 30, 2017. Please feel free to direct any questions to Ellen Popit (email@example.com | 618-985-3711 x 624).
Prevailing Wage Rates
Updated prevailing wage rates are now available. To view the rates, visit https://www.illinois.gov/idol/Laws-Rules/CONMED/Pages/prevailing-wage-rates.aspx. These rates are effective for work performed on public works projects on or after Monday, June 5, 2017.
Calling All School Librarians and Media Specialists!
We need your help with this brief survey regarding the usage of 1:1 devices in school districts across the state. Reaching Across Illinois Library System (RAILS) would like to gather information on devices in use, strategies, and prevalence. Results will be shared at the Illinois School Media Library Association (ISLMA) conference this fall.
Please hurry, the deadline is Friday, June 16. Contact Veronda J. Pitchford, RAILS Director of Membership Development & Resource Sharing at RAILS or call 630.734.5119.
Think Outside The Barn @ your library – Call For Books 2017
The Think Outside the Barn committee has been busy organizing a library booth for the upcoming Farm Progress Show. The 2017 Show is to be held at Progress City in Decatur, IL August 29 - 31. This committee, which has been in existence since the early 1990’s, serves to promote libraries everywhere by giving away free paperback books and talking with the thousands of Farm Show attendees who come from all over the world.
They are looking for book donations. Specifically, they need paperback books (with the exception of preschool board books) in good condition for all ages. Please see the attached flyer for more information.
GLBT Book Month
Join in the celebration of GLBT Book Month. The American Library Association has several resources online: GLBT Book Month
Grants, Awards & Scholarships
A list of available grants are posted on the IHLS website. Here you will find information on grants suitable for libraries that you might be interested in applying for. There are also several ‘Ongoing’ grants on the bottom of the list.
- Crayola Creative Leadership Grants 2017 – Deadline: June 23, 2017
- American Honda Foundation – Deadline: August 1, 2017
- Lowe’s Community Partners Grants – Deadline: August 25, 2017
- Vernon Library Supplies Grants: English Literacy for New Immigrants – Deadline: October 31, 2017
- Walmart Foundation Community Grant Program – Deadline: December 31, 2017
In the News
- Libraries and summer food programs: An Intellectual Freedom Argument
- Libraries unlocking creativity
- “Building a Better World” with City Building Games: Ideas for Summer Reading
- Stop telling people to love libraries
If there is a news story about your library, email the link to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Moving Forward” in the Subject Line so it can be included in the next newsletter.
Upcoming Events in Library Learning
Register in L2: www.librarylearning.info
Wednesday, June 7, 2017
- IHLS Member Library Directors’ Chat, Adobe Connect
Thursday, June 8, 2017
- Cataloging in Connexion Workday, IHLS Champaign
Friday, June 9, 2017
- Cataloging in Connexion Workday, Olney PL
Tuesday, June 13, 2017
- SHARE Catalogers Training Session, Adobe Connect
Wednesday, June 14, 2017
- MyMediaMall Annual Meeting, VTEL
Thursday, June 15, 2017
- Book Cataloging, IHLS Edwardsville
- Dewey Decimal Classification, Forsyth PL
Friday, June 16, 2017
- LibraryOnTheGo: Consortium Meeting, Zoom
Tuesday, June 20, 2017
- IHLS Annual Meeting, IHLS Carbondale
- IHLS Board Meeting
Thursday, June 22, 2017
- Searching and Editing in OCLC Connexion, IHLS Edwardsville
Tuesday, June 27, 2017
- Barcoding I—Searching and Matching, IHLS Edwardsville
- Barcoding I—Searching and Matching, Benton PLD
- Barcoding II—Item Records, IHLS Edwardsville
- Barcoding II—Item Records, Benton PLD
Free Webinars & Workshops
- Free Training: June 2017
- Sharing eBooks Means Caring (LJ) – June 6, 2017
- Back to reality: Librarians helping patrons navigate the world during reentry (WSL) – June 6, 2017
- Let the Wild Rumpus Start! Child-lead play in public library programming (UW SLIS) – June 6, 2017
- 50 Years of YA: Part 1 (Booklist) – June 6, 2017
- Information & Media Literacy: Skills Needed in Today’s World (LJ) – June 7, 2017
- How to Access TechSoup Donations and Resources (TechSoup) – June 8, 2017
- Six Strong Benefits to Supporting Your Local Author Community in Your Library (LJ)j – June 8, 2017
- Engaged Planning for Rural Libraries (USL) – June 13, 2017
- 50 Years of YA: Part 2 (Booklist) – June 13, 2017
- Developing and Supporting your LGBTQ Collection (Booklist) – June 15, 2017
- Project Outcome Panel: User Experiences & Lessons Learned (PLA) – June 15, 2017
- Mindfulness for Librarians (ALL) – June 16, 2017
- Emerging Issues in Copyright: A Jaunt Through Some Common Problems (NCLA) – June 21, 2017
- Virtual Library Program Development (edWeb) – June 21, 2017
- Outside the Lines: Shifting Perceptions of Libraries (TechSoup) – June 28, 2017
- Effective Online Outreach: Tools and Tactics for Connecting Communities and Collections (WJ) – June 29, 2017
If you would like something to appear in the next newsletter, please contact Julia Pernicka, Communications Coordinator, email@example.com with “Moving Forward” in the Subject Line.