WorldShare ILL Migration
OCLC’s new resource sharing service, WorldShare® Interlibrary Loan, is available for your use. As a member of the Illinois group, you have the unique opportunity to participate in a managed migration from WorldCat Resource Sharing to the new service. Do not miss out on this opportunity to receive training and get comfortable with WorldShare ILL. In Marchr 2013, access to WorldCat Resource Sharing will end and OCLC resource sharing will continue through WorldShare Interlibrary Loan for all users worldwide.
Steps to a successful migration from WorldCat Resource Sharing to WorldShare Interlibrary Loan
Step Two: Establish new user accounts for your library staff.
- Create your account – http://share.worldcat.org/myaccount
- Tutorial on creating accounts – http://www.oclc.org/support/training/portfolios/resource-sharing/worldshare-ill/tutorials/creating-your-wsill-account.en.html or http://oc.lc/IOYnND
- Tutorial on managing and creating additional accounts - http://www.oclc.org/support/training/portfolios/resource-sharing/worldshare-ill/tutorials/man-and-create-user-names-in-wsill.en.html or http://oc.lc/ThFkxH
- If ILLiad, stay informed of latest news -http://www.oclc.org/en-US/illiad/latest-version.html
Step Four: During the migration period both WorldCat Resource Sharing and WorldShare ILL will be available to use. This means you can continue to use what you are familiar with while learning the new platform.
Step Five: Migration complete, all staff using WorldShare ILL.
(recordings now available, click on title for recorded session)
This one-hour webinar will provide an overview of migrating from WorldCat Resource Sharing to WorldShare ILL. We will review how to register for the migration to receive your library’s custom web address, create staff accounts, and review the basic components of the system. Learning resources, documentation, and steps to take to get ready will be shared.
This course is part of a series to help transition member libraries already familiar with WorldCat Resource Sharing and its functionality to OCLC’s new WorldShare ILL service. Specifically, it will concentrate on Borrower activities that libraries need to know as they transition to, and begin to make borrowing requests in WorldShare ILL (WSILL). Through demonstration and simulation, class participants will work through the WorldShare ILL borrowing work flow.
Topics include -
Creating Copy and Loan Requests:
- Searching for items
- Selecting appropriate bibliographic record
- Viewing holdings display
- Reviewing potential lender’s policies
- Selecting potential lenders for lender string
- Applying constant data
- Completing the request form
- Submitting the request
- Receive items
- Return items
- Request renewal
- Respond to conditional
- Print requests
This course is part of a series to help transition member libraries already familiar with WorldCat Resource Sharing and its functionality to OCLC’s new WorldShare ILL service. Specifically, it concentrates on Lender activities that need to be known by member libraries as they transition to and begin to process lending requests in WorldShare ILL (WSILL). Through demonstration and simulation, class participants will work through the WorldShare ILL lending work flow.
Topics include –
- Request Management
- Responding Yes to loans
- Responding Yes to copies, Article Exchange
- Responding No
- Responding conditional
- Respond to renewals
- Checking in items
- Printing items
Libraries are encouraged to attend all three sessions. They will be recorded so that staff can view them at a later day as a review of the information.
All of the classes have been entered into the Library Learning (L2) database http://www.librarylearning.info/ . The first class is May 30, 2013. The classes, sponsored by RAILS or IHLS, are open to any Illinois Library that uses OCLC to do interlibrary loan. Pick the series of classes that best fit your schedule.
This link will take you to the list of WorldShare ILL training dates:
WorldShare Interlibrary Loan - The home page for this new product with links to additional information such as functionality of WorldShare ILL and information on the migration.
- Documentation Helpful for Libraries Migrating from WorldCat Resource Sharing: OCLC WorldShare
- Resource Sharing Features in the WorldCat Services Administration Module vs. OCLC Service Configuration [PDF]
- Features in WorldCat® Resource Sharing vs. OCLC WorldShare
SIGN UP FOR OCLC-SHARING-L List: https://www3.oclc.org/app/listserv/ (register for the ILL list and any others on this registration page).