September 15, 2017
The ILA Diversity Task Force wants to hear about the experiences of Illinois library workers from traditionally underrepresented groups in the field. Survey responses will be collected and examined to provide recommendations to ILA for the pursuit of diversity, equity, and inclusion within the Illinois library community. Please complete the survey by Friday, September 15, 2017. Complete survey here: http://bit.ly/iladiversitysurvey
The next IHLS Board meeting is Tuesday, September 26, 2017, at 5:00 p.m. at the IHLS Edwardsville office. The Board meeting will also be available at several videoconferencing (VTEL) sites. When available, you will find the agenda and board packet here.
Please join us for the next Members Matter meeting to be held on Tuesday, October 3, at the Illinois State Library! The meeting will run from 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. It’s a great opportunity to share what’s going on throughout the state and the system. Additionally, we will encourage those participating to share what’s going on in their libraries. If you can’t be in Springfield, you can attend from your own computer, via Zoom.
Please take a moment and register on L2. The agenda will be posted in L2.
Operations created a short video this year to recognize the teamwork the delivery staff showed this past year. Take a look behind the scenes!
IHLS currently has an open position posted on the IHLS website. Find this position as well as job openings with other libraries on the Library Jobs tab of the IHLS website. To add a job posting to the IHLS jobs page for your library, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Demco discount has been updated on the Vendor Discount page on the IHLS website.
Thank you to Janet McAllister and the staff of Rochester Public Library District for hosting Librarian of Congress Dr. Carla Hayden and Illinois Representative Rodney Davis at their library on Saturday, September 9. They put on a fantastic event. Be sure to check out the IHLS Facebook page for more photos.
You are invited to the Morrison-Talbott Library Through the Years Open House on Sunday, September 17, 2017, from 1:00-3:00 p.m. at the Morrison-Talbott Library & Col. Morrison’s Home, 215 Park St. & 219 Park Street, Waterloo, IL 62298.
October 18-20, 2017 | Atlanta, GA
The Public Innovators Lab for Libraries, co-hosted by The Harwood Institute and the American Library Association, is a 2.5-day training to help library professionals learn how to Turn Outward and make more intentional choices in their work. Get off the path of the status quo, learn to Turn Outward and use the community as the reference point for your actions, and get on an alternate path of possibility and hope. For more information visit the conference website: http://theharwoodinstitute.org/labforlibraries/
October 25-27 | Bloomington, IL
Health Science Librarians of Illinois (HSLI) serves as the primary statewide organization meeting the needs and interests of all information professionals who focus on the area of health and medical science. Information professionals working in all types of libraries can benefit from the continuing education sessions offered during the conference. Early conference registration ends October 10 and the hotel room block expires September 25. For more information visit the HSLI Conference website.
A list of available grants are posted on the IHLS website. Here you will find information on grants suitable for libraries that you might be interested in applying for.
- Lowe’s Toolbox for Education Grants – Deadline: September 29, 2017
- Illinois Humanities Illinois Speaks Micro-Grants – Deadline: October 15, 2017
- Vernon Library Supplies Grants: English Literacy for New Immigrants – Deadline: October 31, 2017
- Autism Welcome Here: Library Programs, Services, and More Grant – Deadline: December 1, 2017
- Walmart Foundation Community Grant Program – Deadline: December 31, 2017
- Pamela J. Farris Rural Classroom Library Award – Deadline: March 1, 2018
- Amber Brown Grant – Deadline: April 15, 2018
There are also several ‘Ongoing’ grants on the bottom of the list.
- The great outdoors and more (Six Mile RLD)
- Kirkus Collections wants to make it easier to find YA books that reflect America
- SMRLD state's first library to sell hunting, fishing licenses
- Librarian of Congress shares love of books, Springfield area
- Does the digital world need libraries?
- I Love Libraries newsletter
- Hurricane Harvey and libraries
- Municipal Minute: Library Law Updates
- Municipal Minute: New laws relating to government contracts
- How these students are borrowing textbooks for free, and you can, too
- Olney Public Library set to take part in National Library Card sign-up month
- Free September webinars for library staff
- “Think Outside the Barn”: Farm Progress 2017 (video)
- Pinckneyville Library marks 100 years
- Effingham Area Alzheimer’s Awareness trains library staff
- Readers’ Bridge seeks help for library card program (Charleston, Mattoon, Effingham)
Register in L2: www.librarylearning.info
Wednesday, September 20, 2017
- Polaris Basic Circulation Training, IHLS Edwardsville
- Cooperative Collection Development Meeting, Chester PL
- Polaris Advanced Circulation Training, IHLS Edwardsville
- SHARE Serials for Polaris, Benton PLD
- Library Security, GoToWebinar
Friday, September 22, 2017
- Small Public Libraries Get-Together, Williamsville PL and Museum
Tuesday, September 26, 2017
- IHLS Board Meeting
Tuesday, October 3, 2017
- Members Matter, ISL
Wednesday, October 4, 2017
- Polaris Basic Circulation Training, IHLS Champaign
- Polaris Advanced Circulation Training, IHLS Champaign
Wednesday, October 11, 2017
- SWAYS Meeting, Mascoutah PL
The WebJunction Course Catalog is free and open to library staff everywhere whenever you are ready to learn. They offer library-specific self-paced courses, webinar archives and other great learning materials.
Certificates of Completion are available to help library staff meet CE and LEU credit requirements. Create your free account and start learning today.
- Free September Webinars for Library Staff
- Getting to Yes (USL) – September 18, 2017
- “Making Readers:” How the Maker Movement Can Impact Literacy (ICL) – September 18, 2017
- I’m a Librarian, Not a Doctor! Providing Health Information to Public Library Customers (NNLM) – September 18, 2017
- What’s Cooking for Fall (Booklist) – September 19, 2017
- Tech Savvy in the School Library (WSL) – September 21, 2017
- Everybody Has a Story: Creating Cultural and Historic Preservation Programs with Impact (PL) – September 25, 2017
- The Name of the Game: Playing Tabletop Games to Build 21st Century Skills (WJ) – September 26, 2017
- Autism Basics: A primer for librarians & literacy providers (ISL) – September 27, 2017
- Is it Really Dead? How to rescue programs for hard-to-reach communities (CSL) – September 28, 2017
- School & Public Library Partnerships: The Scoop from a School Librarian (Indiana SL) – September 28, 20217
- Bilingual Storytimes: Reaching Through the Language Barrier (WJ) – October 12, 2017
- Getting Started with Social Media for Your Library (WJ) – October 24, 2017