Updated 4/19/2021 12:14 PM CT
At the Illinois Heartland Library System Board of Directors meeting on March 23, 2021, a proposed diversity policy was reviewed by the Board of Directors in a first reading. It is now being sent out for public comment. Members of Illinois Heartland Library System are encouraged to review the proposed policy and share their comments prior to the next IHLS Policy and Membership Committee meeting, scheduled for Monday, May 10.
Respect for Diversity
IHLS values the diversity of our employees, our library members, and our vendors and recognizes that a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion is beneficial to everyone connected to ILHS.
Our employees are the most valuable asset of IHLS, and their various differences, life experiences, knowledge, inventiveness, innovation, self-expression, unique capabilities, and other talents are key pieces to making IHLS successful and making everyone with whom IHLS interacts feel welcome. We embrace and encourage employees’ differences in age, race, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, language, national origin, religion, and other characteristics that make everyone unique.
IHLS will not tolerate harassment of any kind directed at any individual associated with IHLS. Employees who do not show respect for the diversity of any IHLS employee, library member, vendor, or anyone else doing business with IHLS will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including discharge. There will be diversity at all levels of the organization.
- Employees will recognize and respect each other’s differences
- Employees will at all times engage in respectful communications with others
- IHLS will provide a work environment that supports diversity
- Employees will seek and nurture different perspectives
- Employees at all levels should not tolerate behaviors in the workplace that are inconsistent with IHLS’s commitment to workplace diversity, building a diverse workforce, and providing equal opportunities to all regardless of age, race, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, language, national origin, religion, and any other characteristics protected by applicable law
To make a public comment, please use the comments form below. Public comment will close after Sunday, May 9, 2021. IHLS Policy and Membership Committee will review the comments at their next meeting, scheduled for Monday, May 10, 2021.