The Office of the Secretary of State and the Illinois State Library are charged with administering two public library construction programs: the Live and Learn Construction Grant Program, and the Public Library Construction Act Grant Program. Each program operates under a separate set of rules unique to the statutory charge of the program, and each is applied for individually. A library cannot apply for both programs in the same award year.
Public Library Construction Act Grant Program
- Funded by the sale of state bonds.
- Appropriate for libraries that are interested in major construction and remodeling projects.
- Grant awards will be no greater than 75% and no less than 35% of the recognized eligible project costs as determined by the Illinois State Library.
- These awards are based on each individual library’s Grant Index which is calculated using a mathematical formula included in the legislation.
- The remaining project costs will be a local responsibility.
- Legislation that authorized this program was P.A. 96-37.
- Applications are due June 15 and must be submitted electronically to email@example.com.
For more information about this public library construction grant program, visit the Public Library Construction Act Grant Program website.