November 20, 2017
All IHLS offices will be closed in observance of Thanksgiving on Thursday and Friday, November 23-24, 2017. Delivery Service will not be provided.
See our Office Hours page for a listing of IHLS Holidays.
You are invited to an IHLS networking event on Tuesday, November 28, 2017, from 4:00-5:00 p.m. at the Illinois State Library. This is your opportunity to share your thoughts and ideas with IHLS board members. Afterwards you are welcome to stay for the IHLS Board Meeting. Register in L2
The next IHLS Board meeting is Tuesday, November 28, 2017, at 5:00 p.m. at the Illinois State Library. The Board meeting will also be available at several videoconferencing (VTEL) sites. When available, you will find the agenda and board packet here.
Please join us for the next Members Matter meeting to be held on Tuesday, December 5th, at the Morrison-Talbott Library in Waterloo! The meeting will run from 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. It’s a great opportunity to share what’s going on throughout the state and the system. We will continue the discussion on FAKE NEWS with Cristy Stupegia from the LaSalle Public Library who will discuss their successful “Noise v. News” program. Kate Marek, Director of Dominican University’s School of Information Studies, will discuss the possibility of a Dominican cohort group within IHLS. Additionally, we will encourage those participating to share what’s going on in their libraries. If you can’t go to Waterloo, you can attend from your own computer, via Zoom.
Please take a moment and register on L2. The agenda will be posted in L2.
Special Interest Groups allow IHLS members with similar professional specialties the opportunity to meet, connect, ask questions, and share ideas. Check out the listing of Special Interest Groups on the IHLS website. If your special interest group is not on the list and you would like to be added, please contact Angela Thompson (firstname.lastname@example.org | 217-352-0047 ext. 720).
Also, contact Angela to have your meeting listed on the LibraryLearning (L2) calendar.
The Try-It! Illinois statewide database trial runs until November 30. To obtain the login and password, visit Try-It! Illinois
A pre-recorded webinar on the Annual Library Certification will be initially broadcast on December 4, 2017 from 10 a.m.-11 a.m. It will be posted on the State Library’s certification Web page for library directors and staff to view when convenient. This webinar presented by Pat Boze of the State Library staff is an overview of the annual library certification process, tips about logging in and filling out the online form, timetable for completion of the form by library system members and contact information for additional questions. The State Library’s Web page for certification will include a link to this webinar, as well as many other supporting resources such as links to other documents and websites.
The Office Hours page on the IHLS website includes the IHLS Holiday Schedule and the IHLS procedures for closing due to emergencies or inclement weather. If you have not already done so, visit this page to sign up for the IHLS Text Alert System service. IHLS will send out text alerts for weather delays, building closings, and route changes.
The Library Closings page of the IHLS website includes:
- Polaris Library Closings Form - This form lets us change settings in Polaris so your closed days are not counted against your patrons for return dates and late fee assessments.
- No Delivery Days Form - This is for our Delivery Team. This form allows your delivery hub to know which days you DO NOT want them to deliver to your building.
- Unscheduled/Emergency Closings - The purpose of this form is to let other libraries know when your library is closed. This does not alert IHLS of your unscheduled closing.
The Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library is accepting paper or panel proposals on any aspect of Illinois’ history, culture, politics, geography, or archaeology for the 20th Annual Conference on Illinois History (October 4 & 5, 2018). Proposals are also being accepted for teacher workshops. The deadline for proposals is May 1, 2018. Find more information on the conference and submitting proposals on the website.
The archived grant information webinar for the Live & Learn Construction Grant Program is now available on the program website under the Informational Webinars heading at the following link - http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/library/grants/livelearn_construction.html. The State Library is accepting application for this public library construction grant program with applications due by January 12, 2018. For questions or additional information, please contact Mark Shaffer at 217-524-4901 or email@example.com, or Pat Boze at 217-782-1891 or firstname.lastname@example.org at the Illinois State Library.
The FY18 Public Library Per Capita and Equalization Aid Grant application and FY16 Expenditure Report forms are available at http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/library/grants/plpc_equalization.html
The application and the FY2016 expenditure report(s) are due January 15, 2018 and must be sent at the same time! More Information
A list of available grants are posted on the IHLS website. Here you will find information on grants suitable for libraries that you might be interested in applying for.
- Autism Welcome Here: Library Programs, Services, and More Grant – Deadline: December 1, 2017
- Demco New Leaders Travel Grant – Deadline: December 4, 2017
- Walmart Foundation Community Grant Program – Deadline: December 31, 2017
- 2018 Summer Learning Resources Grants – Deadline: January 1, 2018
- 2018 Teen Summer Intern Program – Deadline: January 1, 2018
- The American Dream Literacy Initiative – January 2, 2018
- Live & Learn Construction Grant – Deadline: January 12, 2018
- Public Library Per Capita and Equalization Aid Grant – Deadline: January 15, 2017
- The Ruth Toor Grant for Strong Public School Libraries – Deadline: February 1, 2018
- Inspire Collection Development Grant (AASL) – Deadline: February 1, 2018
- Coretta Scott King Book Donation Grant – Deadline: February 1, 2018
Be sure to check out the ‘Ongoing’ grants’ on the bottom of the list.
- Historic Shelbyville Public Library
- Follett announces it will sell LEGO® Education solutions to U.S. school libraries
- Sunset on the Library as Incubator Project
- Family records, documents available in archives (Urbana Free)
- Board game night at the library (Effingham PL)
- Lincoln library asks for stories on Cubs-Cardinals rivalry
- Food for fines (Marshall PL)
- Fire department needs new truck, library waives fees to help (Camargo)
- SIUE appoints Jackson as LIS interim dean
- Presidential museum to display original copy of Gettysburg Address
- 17 of the Best Young Adult Books That Were Released in 2017
Registration for Spring 2018 courses began November 9 for new and returning students. College of DuPage is an ALA Approved Course Provider. For further information, please contact Carol Sturz, Cordinator, College of DuPage Library & Information Technology [630-942-2597 | email@example.com] or go to: http://cod.edu/lta
Chicago Public Library is hosting a Design Thinking workshop with Library Journal at CPL on Thursday, November 30, 2017. Led by experienced design thinking facilitators from CPL, Designing the Future is an introductory live workshop that provides the opportunity for library professionals and teams to tackle their real-life problems through a series of expert-led collaborative exercises. Library Journal is offering a discount to IHLS member libraries. Registrants only need to enter the promo code “FUTURE” to lock in a rate of $185. For more information and to register, go to: http://learn.libraryjournal.com/live/designing-future/. This survey is being shared broadly by email as well. Please respond only once and indicate that you are responding at the invitation of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
The Space Science Institute’s National Center for Interactive learning, in partnership with the American Library Association, Afterschool Alliance, Lunar and Planetary Institute, and Datum Advisors, would like your input on developing a STEM readiness tool. Your input is critical to understanding the current state of STEM programming and activities in public libraries across the nation. In this survey you will be asked about how your library implements STEM programs and activities currently, your views about STEM in public libraries, and other similar topics. The survey should take about 15 minutes to complete. Take the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/STAR_Net2
Mark your calendars for the 5th annual GLRSC: Charting Our Course Together on June 7-8, 2018, at the Hilton Garden Inn in Perrysburg, OH. This conference is an opportunity for individuals working in resource sharing to trade information and network with other colleagues. Do you have a new idea or success story to share? The committee is accepting program proposals through January 12, 2018.
December 14, 2017 | 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM CST
In 2012, Gail Borden Public Library District decided to take summer reading in a new direction: outside the library building. To do so, librarians developed “Gold Star Partners,” which connects community partners with library services and provides all the components of summer reading: reading logs, materials, and support from library staff. In this webinar, learn how to maximize flexibility and achieve more with volunteers, receive an overview of Gold Star Partners, and learn how to develop community partnerships with day care centers, community centers, senior residential facilities, and other organizations that serve children and adults to increase summer reading participation. Registration fee: $49/person. Ask about group rates for parties of 4 or more (email firstname.lastname@example.org). Fore more information and to register, go to: https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/7215281559805570050
Register in L2: www.librarylearning.info
Tuesday, November 28, 2017
- IHLS Board Networking Event, ISL
- IHLS Board Meeting
Thursday, November 30, 2017
- Polaris Circulation Training, IHLS Carbondale
Friday, December 1, 2017
- FY18 Adult Volunteer Literacy Grant Information, Adobe Connect
- FY19 Workplace Skills Enhancement Grant, Adobe Connect
- FY19 Penny Severns Family Literacy Grant, Adobe Connect
Tuesday, December 5, 2017
- Members Matter, Morrison-Talbott Library
Wednesday, December 6, 2017
- IHLS Member Library Directors’ Chat, Adobe Connect
Thursday, December 7, 2017
- LibraryOnTheGo, Zoom
Friday, December 8, 2017
- Barcoding – Search/Match and Attach, Newton PL
Wednesday, December 13, 2017
- SWAYS Meeting, Fairview Heights PL
Thursday, December 14, 2017
- MEPL – Metro-East Public Library Management Meeting, Fairview Heights PL
- Translating Research into Community Growth: Creative Library Support for Cooperative Extension (ALA) – November 27, 2017
- Using Data to Understand Your Community & Measure Impact (PLA) – November 29, 2017
- Social Media Analytics: What to Measure and Why (WJ) – November 30, 2017
- CopyTalk: Copyright Librarian Starter Kit (ALA) - December 7, 2017
- From Tots to Teens: STE(A)M-powered Ideas for Programming (WJ) – December 14, 2017
- STEM Events for Your Library's 2018 Programming Schedule (STARnet) - December 18, 2017
- Going Deeper with Social Media (WJ) – December 19, 2017
Congratulations to the staff at the Ramsey Public Library. On Wednesday, November 1, 2017, they went Live on Polaris!
Pictured left to right: Heather Seaton and Brenda Eller