The mission of the Cataloging Maintenance Center (CMC) is to provide cataloging support to Illinois library system-member libraries.
Since 2001, the CMC has been upgrading bibliographic records for Local Library System Automation Programs (LLSAPs) and individual libraries throughout the state of Illinois. The CMC is also a source for other cataloging assistance including:
- Database cleanup
- Original or copy cataloging of eligible collections
- Cataloging training
- Assistance with general cataloging questions, including questions on Resource Description and Access (RDA)
- Metadata consultation
Supported in part by a grant from the Illinois State Library, the CMC is currently operated by, and is a division of, Illinois Heartland Library System. The CMC is located at all three IHLS locations.
Is your item eligible for free cataloging?
- Requesting library must be a library system member, including members of Chicago Public Library (CPL), Illinois Heartland Library System (IHLS), and Reaching Across Illinois Library System (RAILS).
- Eligible collections for original or copy cataloging include Illinois authors, genealogy, local history, and special collections (as defined by your library; for example: local authors, community cookbooks, government documents, Asian languages, etc.).
- Eligible collections of material in most modern foreign languages and braille can be accommodated.
Think you may be ready to send your item for free cataloging?
Guidelines for CMC service
- Before sending items for cataloging, please contact the CMC Staff to determine eligibility.
- Please send items through system delivery (IHLS) or through ILDS (RAILS, CPL). Please provide contact information and make sure your items are identified/property stamped for your location. Ship all items marked with the current ILDS label including items shipped within IHLS.
- Send as many items as will fit in a box. The box should not weigh more than 40 pounds.
- In some circumstances, CMC staff may be able to visit your library to complete the cataloging. Travel by CMC staff will be on a limited basis, depending on several factors (i.e., availability of staff, distance, size of the collection to be cataloged, condition of the collection, etc.). WiFi capability is required.
- Items will be cataloged in the order they are received with turnaround time varying depending on the scope of the project and other factors. Most items will be returned within 30 days.
- CMC staff will create an original bibliographic record in OCLC or will supply an existing OCLC record. Records will be exported to the local database according to your LLSAP’s procedures. What library classification would you like added to the OCLC record?
- CMC staff will not create item/holding records for individual copies.
- When sending items written by local authors, please provide information about the author's relationship to the state of Illinois (current or previous resident of Illinois, works or worked in Illinois, etc.) and any other pertinent information.
Contact us and let us determine if your project is eligible
Contact CMC Staff
Dr. Pamela Thomas, Bibliographic Grant Manager
General cataloging and metadata:
Dr. Pamela Thomas
CARLI special project:
The Cataloging Maintenance Center (CMC) is funded in part by a grant that was awarded by the Illinois State Library, a Department of the Office of Secretary of State, using funds provided by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services, under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA). The CMC is a division of Illinois Heartland Library System (IHLS).