Illinois Heartland Library System
Library/Organization Address6725 Goshen Road
Edwardsville, Illinois 62025
Hourly Wage/Salary Range
$15 per hour for Day Shift / $17.25 for Night Shift
About the OrganizationIllinois Heartland Library System’s (IHLS) mission is to support member libraries of all types in providing quality library services. IHLS facilitates access to shared resources, advocates for libraries, promotes innovation, and develops community partnerships. Here at IHLS, we have a great work-life balance that is part of our company culture. IHLS was named among the Greater St. Louis Top Workplaces by the St. Louis Post-Dispatch in 2022!
IHLS is committed to workplace diversity, building a diverse workforce, and providing equal opportunities to all regardless of age, race, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, language, national origin, religion, and any other characteristics protected by applicable law.
Job Description and ResponsibilitiesIHLS is seeking a customer-service-driven delivery driver for our Edwardsville hub location. This position is vital in providing exceptional service to the library communities that we serve. The position is full-time, and scheduled to work 40 hours a week, at times filling in for a night shift as needed. These positions sort and deliver books and other library materials to and from member libraries. Courier Driver services are provided Mondays through Fridays.
Day Shift: Day hours would be approximately 5:30 a.m.-2 p.m. (Paid at $15/hour). Night Shift: Night Shift hours would be around 4:30pm-1:00am (includes a 15% shift differential making the hourly rate $17.25). The night driving would consist of delivery to our Champaign, Ill., hub location.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Ability to work independently.
• Ability to sort books and library materials based on established location codes.
• Ability to frequently lift tubs of books and other library materials.
• Ability to drive daily on established routes and follow established laws and safe driving procedures.
• Ability to assume responsibility for entering unattended delivery sites using an alarm or key.
• Excellent oral communication skills for the purposes of conveying information and instructing others while maintaining a strong customer service focus.
• Display a professional business attitude with a pleasant demeanor while working in a customer service-oriented organization.
• Knowledge of how to use a personal computer and basic knowledge of Microsoft Office programs. Must be able to check email regularly.
Most of the work is performed driving a van and assisting in the delivery and pick up of library materials. Occasionally may encounter rain, snow, or ice. Sorting and loading of library materials may occur indoors and outdoors.
This position requires extensive periods of sitting while driving up to 400 miles daily. It also requires repetitive use of arms and legs and moving the whole body, including standing, climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, reaching, pushing, grasping, hearing, and talking.
Requires the ability to exert up to 40 pounds of force occasionally to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including but not limited to tubs of books and other library materials.
Clarity of vision at 20 inches or less with the ability to adjust the eye to bring objects into sharp focus as well as clarity of vision at 20. Must have the ability to drive in day and night driving conditions.
Minimum Requirements to ApplyEducation and Experience:
• Some high school
• Driver’s license holder for at least three years
• At least 25 years of age at the time of hire
IHLS offers an extensive benefits package that includes paid time off, health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, employer-paid life insurance, Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF) participation (must contribute 4.5% of earnings), and the ability to add additional life insurance coverages.
Position Start DateWe are hiring within 2-4 weeks of the post date.
How to ApplyCandidates should send their resumes to email@example.com.