Centralia Regional Library District
Library/Organization Address515 E. Broadway
Centralia, Illinois 62801
Hourly Wage/Salary Range
$45,000 - $65,000
About the OrganizationBased in Centralia, Illinois, the Centralia Regional Library is the third oldest continually operating Carnegie library in the state, serves nearly 26,000 people within four different counties, and employs approximately 15 staff. The original building, built in 1902, has been renovated and expanded three times. The latest $2.7-million-dollar renovation and addition occurred in 2015 and added meeting areas and a computer lab. In 1995 the Library became a District library and garners its revenue from tax dollars, grants, and donations. It is also a member of the Illinois Heartland Library System.
Job Description and ResponsibilitiesJOB TITLE: LIBRARY DIRECTOR
Position Reports To: Centralia Regional Library District Board of Trustees
In keeping with the mission of the Centralia Regional Library District, the Library Director is responsible for developing and supporting all efforts necessary to ensure access to information for a diverse public by being responsive to the region’s need for information, education, and recreation. Working closely with the Board of Trustees, the Library Director develops library policies, monitors library services, develops and manages the budget, creates public relations materials, supervises staff and volunteers, oversees the physical plant, and stays informed of developments in library management.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in an appropriate discipline area of study.
• Extensive knowledge of public library practices, management techniques, collection development, and technology application.
• Knowledge of local, state and national laws pertaining to the governance of district libraries.
• Excellent communication skills, oral and written, and public-speaking/presentation skills.
• Ability to evaluate situations, work well with others, and use tact and good judgment.
• Ability to provide support and work effectively with the Board of Trustees, staff, volunteers and Friends of the Library.
• Ability to manage the Library with a focus on inclusiveness and diversity, incorporating the perspective of many communities in programs,
services and collections.
The Library Director’s responsibilities include but are not l
• Propose and implement policy under the direction of the Board of Trustees
• Develop, implement and evaluate short and long term goals that help support the mission of the Centralia Regional Library District.
• Plan, organize and direct all activities concerned with the administration of library services.
• Oversee the following:
planning and organization of programs and services of the library according to the perceived needs of the community and region.
selection and maintenance of all library materials, making sure these materials meet the needs of the community.
maintenance and updating of the library website and other library social media sites.
• Propose, encourage and implement new program initiatives.
• Conduct ongoing evaluations of existing library programs, services, policies and procedures and submit recommendations for improvements, if needed, to the Board of Trustees.
• Compile and record library statistics and assemble them for monthly Trustee meetings.
• Ensure that all patrons are assisted in a courteous and appropriate manner.
• Oversee the employment, supervision, retention, promotion, and termination of library personnel and volunteers consistent with approved personnel policies, rules, and regulations.
• Provide leadership and management skills that foster teamwork, effective communication, and high morale.
• Encourage staff to be innovative in program promotions and proactive in grant seeking.
• Promote equity, diversity, and inclusion among the staff members and the Board of Trustees.
• Prepare annual evaluations of all employees.
• Manage internal and external communications of the Centralia Regional Library District (i.e. signs, brochures, fliers, newsletters, newspaper articles and social media).
• Participate in community activities and build positive relationships with external stakeholders.
• Ensure that all policies are followed and when not, take appropriate action.
• Draft the annual budget for the Board of Trustees’ consideration and adoption.
• Prepare, publish, & file property tax levies, building tax levies and budget and appropriations ordinances for all four counties of the District.
• Supervise and make expenditures of library funds within the limitations of the approved budget.
• Oversee the collection and accounting of library fees and other charges.
• Oversee the preparation of monthly and yearly financial reports and yearly audit reports for consideration and approval by the Board of Trustees.
• Work with the Board of Trustees in planning and promoting donation and fundraising activities.
• Review annually the library insurance policies and make recommendations for change.
• Aggressively pursue grant opportunities (i.e. Per Capita grant) to enhance and expand library services.
Physical Plant Management:
• Oversee the care and maintenance of the library facilities and grounds.
• Schedule and supervise contract services and maintenance personnel.
• Purchase equipment and furnishings as needed.
• Provide leadership and direction for major development projects.
• Maintain membership in appropriate professional library organizations; attend library conferences and events to ensure continual professional development; share information with staff and Library Board; promote opportunities for professional development for staff.
• Provide or oversee the professional development training of the staff.
Board of Trustee Representative:
• Attend all Library Board or committee meetings except when officially excused by the President.
• Organize, plan, and distribute agendas and support materials for Board meetings in consultation with the President of the Board.
• Apprise the Board of significant activities, events, problems and concerns of the Library.
• Notify Trustee members of meetings and prepare appropriate public notices in compliance with the Open Meetings Act.
• Keep the Board informed of legislative issues and “Best Practices” impacting the welfare of the library by attending and participating in regional and statewide professional activities.
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee
to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made
to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the routine functions.
• Ability to view a computer monitor and/or operate a keyboard for extended periods of time.
• Ability to move and lift materials up to 25 pounds.
• Ability to stand, bend, reach, and sit as required.
• Any other physical ability necessary to perform routine library work.
The Library Director will be evaluated by the Board of Trustees annually.
The Library Director’s job also includes any other duties that are requested by the Board of Trustees or that are essential to ensuring that the Centralia Regional Library District provides the best possible library service to its patrons.
Fair Labor Standards Act Status: Non-Exempt
Minimum Requirements to ApplyThe Centralia Regional Library District seeks a strategic partner who demonstrates exemplary leadership and managerial skills. Working within the rich heritage and economic diversity of our community, the successful candidate should have a strong commitment to the position and to the people of the district.
Applicants should have a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree and three years of experience in library management. However, an individual with a Master’s Degree in Library Science is preferred. Salary range is from $45,000 to $65,000 plus additional benefits. Agreed upon salary would be determined based on education and experience.
Health insurance, Dental insurance, Vision insurance, Retirement plan, Flexible schedule, Paid time off, Other
Position Start DateJuly 1, 2023
How to ApplyFor consideration, please submit a cover letter, current resume, and three professional references by email to DirectorSearch@centralia.lib.il.us or by hard copy to Library Director Search, Centralia Regional Library District, 515 East Broadway, Centralia, IL 62801 by April 30, 2023. A complete job description is available with this posting or at www.centralialibrary.org.
*Centralia Regional Library District is committed to workplace diversity, building a diverse workforce and providing equal opportunities to all regardless of age, race, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, language, national origin, religion and any other characteristics protected by applicable law.