Circulation and Cataloging Clerk
Tri-Township Public Library District
Library/Organization Address209 S. Main St.
Troy, Illinois 62294
Hourly Wage/Salary Range
About the OrganizationThe Tri-Township Public Library District is an independent taxing district that serves a population of 16,886 people from three neighboring towns of Troy, Saint Jacob, and Marine Illinois.
Job Description and ResponsibilitiesThe Tri-Township Public Library is looking for an enthusiastic full time team player to perform a variety of duties both within Circulation and Cataloging.
The ideal candidate would split their time between working the circulation desk by providing library material and services to the library’s patrons and cataloging the library’s materials as well as editing, deleting and preparing library records and items for use by the library’s patrons.
(Circulation Desk Duties)
• General circulation desk duties; checks in and out library materials; collects fines and fees; issues and updates
• Assists patrons in the location, selection, selection and use of library materials; provides reference guidance and customer services; answers telephone inquiries; provides general information and assists patrons as needed.
• Assists patrons in the use of library equipment, i.e. computer use, photocopiers, fax machines, etc.
• Performs a variety of miscellaneous duties such as scheduling the use of meeting rooms, setting up and taking down equipment, chairs and tables for meetings and events; setting up audio visual equipment as needed, and completing general library errands as needed.
• Empties book drop on a regular basis.
• Perform original and copy cataloging based on current standards, database maintenance, and authority control. Applies Resources Description and Access, Library of Congress subject heading policies, LCGFT genre heading policies, Dewy decimal classification, and MARC 21 formats, and OCLC connexion.
• Create or edit bibliographic records in OCLC and exported into Polaris database, or edit record in Polaris when needed.
• Create or edit item records that appear in the Polaris and IHL systems.
• Assign call numbers to each library item according to national standards and Tri-Township Public Library Practices.
• Prepare labels and attaching them to all library materials.
• Recheck item record after creation for quality assurance, and check item in, put on the appropriate shelf, or put on hold for a patron.
• Attend professional development meetings, workshop, conferences and seminars for continuing education.
• Maintain 15 hours of continuing education related to cataloging through Illinois Heartland Library System (IHLS)
• Create Monthly Reports to determine which items should be taken off owning library use only; as well as determine which item is ready to move into the general collection.
• Book and Audiobook ordering. The position is required to order all adult fiction, adult large print and fiction audiobooks.
• Other Duties as assigned.
Minimum Requirements to ApplyBachelor's Degree
Some library and cataloging experience preferred.
Health insurance, Dental insurance, Retirement plan, Paid time off
Position Start Date
How to ApplyPlease submit a cover and resume in person to the Tri-Township Public Library District if interested.
The Tri-Township Public Library District is located at 209 S. Main St. Troy, IL 62294