Librarian (Tenure-track faculty)
Lake Land College Library
Library/Organization Address5001 Lake Land Blvd.
Mattoon, Illinois 61938
Hourly Wage/Salary Range
59,000+ as per faculty contract approved 5/8/23
About the OrganizationLake Land College is a public community college in Mattoon, Illinois, serving over 3,500 students. Lake Land College is committed to developing and maintaining an environment for students, employees and college community that embraces and actively supports diversity, equity and inclusion. We aspire to be an institution where the quality of education and work environment are enhanced and enriched by an inclusive campus community that encourages multiple perspectives and the free exchange of ideas.
Job Description and ResponsibilitiesFull-time, Tenure Track, 12-MONTH Faculty position at Lake Land College. Responsible for providing reference, instructional, and information services to students, faculty, staff, and the public. This position requires a minimum of a Master's degree from an ALA-Accredited Library Program or the equivalent. Previous experience with instruction and reference services in an academic library setting strongly preferred. Review of applications will begin June 1. Start date: 8/18/23. Apply online at www.lakelandcollege.edu with application, cover letter, resume/CV, and transcripts. For questions, contact Sarah Hill, Director of Library Services, firstname.lastname@example.org. EOE/AA
Position Summary: Reporting to the Director of Library Services, the Librarian provides reference, instructional, and information services for students, faculty, staff, and the public.
Job Description: Essential Functions
• Plan, conduct, and publicize activities to improve information fluency skills across the College curricula;
• Provide library instruction to faculty, staff, and students, including on-site, online, and at remote locations;
• Work with other College personnel as appropriate to improve the deployment and incorporation of instructional resources into course offerings;
• Assist library users with research and information needs;
• Participate in institutional and library assessment activities to improve services and resources;
• Create online and print instructional aids / guides for library resources;
• In cooperation with the Director and faculty, evaluate and select items for the library collection in all appropriate formats;
• Maintain library holdings and statistical records in online databases;
• Work with Cataloging staff to help maintain library catalog records to improve accessibility of the collection;
• In conjunction with the Director of Library Services, develop and evaluate policies relating to library resources and services;
• Represent the Library and institution at local, regional, and national conferences as appropriate;
• Participate in training of Library staff as appropriate;
• Plan and supervise displays and exhibits in the library;
• Participate in College committees and task forces;
• Perform other related duties as assigned
Minimum Requirements to ApplyJob Requirements
• EDUCATION: Master’s Degree from an ALA-Accredited Library Program or equivalent required.
• EXPERIENCE: Previous experience with instruction and reference services in an academic library setting strongly preferred;
• KNOWLEDGE: Knowledge of trends and current practices in reference, instruction, and information fluency; knowledge of best practices with technology in academic libraries; familiarity with and use of appropriate software and hardware to perform required duties; familiarity with the Library of Congress classification system
• SKILLS: Excellent verbal and written communication skills and problem-solving ability.
• PERSONAL: Ability to work effectively with a broad range of people.
• PHYSICAL: Ability to travel within and outside district boundaries; ability to see and hear well enough to interact with patrons seeking information assistance.
Health insurance, Dental insurance, Vision insurance, Life insurance, Retirement plan, Flexible schedule, Paid time off, Other
Fridays off in summer, option to work remotely one day/week.
Position Start Date8/18/23. Review of applications begins June 1.
How to ApplyPre-employment criminal background checks are required for all staff and faculty positions before start date. When you apply using the official LLC application (https://www.lakelandcollege.edu/human-resources/human-resources-employment-opportunities/?i=Full_Time_Faculty), you will need to upload the following documents to your application:
• Cover Letter – Explaining interest in the position
• Curriculum Vitae or Resume
• Transcripts (can be unofficial until chosen to be hired)