Illinois Heartland Library System (Champaign Hub)
Library/Organization Address1704 Interstate Drive
Champaign, Illinois 61822
Hourly Wage/Salary Range
About the OrganizationIllinois Heartland Library System (IHLS) is looking for a Cataloger to be part of our SHARE division. SHARE is a collection of libraries in central and southern Illinois that have joined together to form the largest library automation consortium in the country, with 342 members at 474 locations.
IHLS is committed to workplace diversity, building a diverse workforce, and providing equal opportunities to all regardless of age, race, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, language, national origin, religion, and any other characteristics protected by applicable law.
Job Description and ResponsibilitiesIn this position, the Cataloger will perform original and copy cataloging, database maintenance, authority control, and provide training and support for libraries. This position also resolves cataloging problems and aids in database maintenance. The successful candidate should have the following skills:
• Good working knowledge of the principles and procedures of professional library work, including methods, practices, and techniques of library cataloging and classification.
• Excellent knowledge of computerized cataloging.
• Excellent knowledge of standard bibliographic sources and verification tools.
• Good knowledge of professional library theories, issues, and trends.
• Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effectiveness.
Minimum Requirements to ApplyMinimum Education and Experiences:
• MLS degree from an ALA-accredited library school with coursework in cataloging or at least five years of experience in original and copy cataloging preferred.
• Five years of experience in the classification of all formats of library material using Resource Description and Access, Dewey Decimal and Library of Congress classifications, LC subject headings (LCSH), and MARC records highly preferred.
• Experience with computerized cataloging databases and experience in OCLC Connexion preferred.
• Experience with training and presenting, in-person or online, preferred.
Health insurance, Dental insurance, Vision insurance, Life insurance, Retirement plan, Paid time off, Other
IHLS offers an extensive benefits package including paid time off; health, dental, and vision insurance; employer-paid life insurance with the ability to add additional life insurance coverages; and participation in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF; must contribute 4.5% of earnings). Here at IHLS, we have a great work-life balance that is part of our company culture. IHLS was named among the Greater St. Louis Top Workplaces by the St. Louis Post-Dispatch in 2022!
Position Start Date4-6 weeks from date of posting
How to ApplyInterested applicants should send their resume to email@example.com.