The Illinois Heartland Library System (IHLS) provides delivery and automation (online catalog software) to the libraries of southern and parts of central Illinois, as well as certain grant program services, such as the Cataloging Maintenance Center to libraries statewide.
Illinois Heartland Library System (IHLS) empowers libraries to embrace innovation and collaboration.
To support member libraries of all types in providing quality library services. IHLS facilitates access to shared resources, advocates for libraries, promotes innovation and develops community partnerships.
IHLS staff and board commit to the following values in the management and operation of IHLS
- Innovation and leadership
- We are innovative and creative and exercise leadership in developing programs and services that meet the needs of IHLS diverse multi-type libraries.
- We engage members and draw on their expertise in the development and improvement of programs and services.
- Integrity and Respect
- We operate IHLS ethically with accountability and transparency.
- Our diverse staff works together with trust and respect for our individual talents in order to provide the best service possible.
- We value collaboration among members with other library organizations and community partners.
- We practice clear and open communication with members, staff and other stakeholders.
- Resource Sharing
- IHLS facilitates, supports and promotes resource sharing to assist member libraries of all types to be of service to their users.
- Member Engagement and Networking
- IHLS communicates with and engages member libraries of all types and promotes member networking to assist libraries in improving their services.
- Consulting and CE
- IHLS provides information and assistance to member libraries of all types through consulting and continuing education to improve the expertise of their staff.
- Leadership and Innovation
- IHLS provides leadership and embraces innovation to assist member libraries of all types to better serve their users.
- IHLS advocates for the role of libraries and library staff to build strong libraries and strong communities.
- Stewardship and Sustainability
- IHLS stewards its resources to ensure maximum benefit to member libraries of all types and to taxpayers.
IHLS covers 28,141 square miles and serves a population of 2,248,634.
There are 518 member libraries: 31 Academic, 226 Public, 232 School and 29 Special.
Of the 518 IHLS member libraries, 340 participate in the IHLS LLSAP known as SHARE.