The mission of the Illinois Cataloging Maintenance Center (CMC) is to provide cataloging support to libraries that are System members.
Supported by a grant from the Illinois State Library, the Cataloging Maintenance Center (CMC) is currently operated by the Illinois Heartland Library System at the Champaign and Edwardsville locations.
Since 2001, the CMC has been upgrading bibliographic records for Local Library System Automation Programs (LLSAPs) throughout the state. The CMC is also a source for other cataloging assistance including:
- Database cleanup
- Original or copy cataloging of eligible collections
- Cataloging training
- Assistance with general cataloging questions, including questions on RDA (Resource Description and Access)
- Metadata consultation
Eligibility for CMC service
- Requesting library must be a library system member: Illinois Heartland Library System (IHLS), Reaching Across Illinois Library System (RAILS), Chicago Public Library (CPL)
- Eligible collections for original or copy cataloging include genealogy, local history, and special collections (i.e., local authors, community cookbooks, government documents, etc.)
- Eligible collections of material in most modern European languages can be accommodated
Guidelines for CMC service
- Before sending items for cataloging, please contact the CMC Staff to determine eligibility.
- For metadata consultation and training, please contact : Dr. Pamela Thomas
- Please send items through system delivery (IHLS) or through ILDS (RAILS, CPL). Please provide contact information and make sure your items are identified/property stamped for your location. Ship all items marked with the current ILDS label including items shipped within IHLS
- In some circumstances, CMC staff may be able to visit your library to complete the cataloging. Travel by CMC staff will be on a limited basis, depending on several factors (i.e., availability of staff, distance, size of collection to be cataloged, condition of collection, etc.). Wifi capability is required
- Items will be cataloged in the order they are received with turnaround time varying depending on the scope of the project and other factors. Most items will be returned within 30 days
- CMC staff will create an original bibliographic record in OCLC or will supply an existing OCLC record. Records will be exported to the local database according to your LLSAP’s procedures
- CMC staff will not create item/holding records for individual copies
For questions on:
Cataloging questions and collection eligibility: Vince Andrzejewski, Cheri Schuler-Faust, Ian Anderson, Dr. Pamela Thomas
Metadata consultation and Training: Dr. Pamela Thomas