Please use only the official IHLS transit labels for items going from a member library to a member library.
For libraries that do not have a transit slip printer, please download the official IHLS transit label:
ALL items must have a completed transit label attached to the front (including packaging/envelopes)
- "To" Library name is the most important to the IHLS delivery staff and should contain the FULL name of the library to which the item is being sent. Full names are important as many libraries have similar names (i.e. Mississippi Valley – Collinsville, Mississippi Valley – Fairmont etc..)
- Transit labels indicate where the item is going - only destination info is needed
- DO NOT insert labels inside books – high volume creates a risk for lost labels during sorting
- Only use official transit labels available at IHLS website
- Hub code is critical to getting the item to the right geographic region as quickly as possible. View the SHARE list of libraries with hub codes.
- To avoid damage to books, use Scotch removable tape to fasten labels on items. If your library does not have removable tape, it is acceptable to tape your label to a rubber band around the item
- Do not reuse transit labels, cross out, highlight or circle items – use a NEW transit label
- In the case of missing or incomplete labels the item will be returned to the owning library
To find RAILS hub codes use L2
All items must have a completed ILDS transit label attached to the front
- Use only ILDS routing label
- "To" and "From" fields - mandatory
- When sending materials to CMC please write CMC in the To field
- Always circle or highlight one ILDS destination code - mandatory
- In case of missing or incomplete labels the item will be returned to the owning library
Items will be delivered in a variety of different cargo containers with 10 gallon tubs and canvas tote bags being the most common.
- Please have all containers (lids), empty or full, at your delivery exchange point on your designated delivery day
- We will have all containers properly marked with your library name
- All loaded containers must weigh no more than 40 lbs
- Extra containers can be requested when needed. Please contact your Operations Manager, the day before your scheduled delivery, to request extra containers
- Containers are the property of IHLS and are to be used for transport of library items only
On Demand/On Call Accounts
- If you are an “on demand/on call” delivery you will receive a stop on your designated day IF we have items to bring to you
- When you have items to pick-up please contact your Hub Operations Manager.
DOG – Delivery on the go instructions
Carbondale (ZCA): Pack items in blue “DOG” envelope label and set on top of tubs.
Champaign (ZCH): Mark items with a “DOG” label and set on top of tubs to be picked up.
Edwardsville (ZED): Mark items with a “DOG” label and set on top of tubs to be picked up.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding these guidelines please contact your Hub Operations Manager directly. Courier drivers are not equipped or authorized to answer specific questions regarding the delivery guidelines.