last updated: 1/21/2022 10:52 AM CT
The resources on this page were curated for the Libraries of Central & Southern Illinois.
CDC Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
IDPH Illinois Department of Public Health
WHO World Health Organization
FDA Food and Drug Administration
OSHA Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Find Answers to Frequently Asked COVID Questions
- Is your Illinois county in an area of high or low transmission?
- How have COVID cases in Illinois changed over time? how about by age bracket?
- What are the CDC's and IDPH's current quarantine and isolation guidelines?
- What is OSHA's Emergency Temporary Standard on COVID-19 Vaccination and Testing?
- What mask should I choose? Where do I get one? Are cloth masks still effective?
- How do I tell if a NIOSH-approved mask is a counterfeit?
- How long do I need to isolate after an exposure, developing symptoms, or testing positive?
Metrics, News Updates
American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE)
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
REALM Project: REopening Archives, Libraries, and Museums
Illinois Department of Public Health
- COVID-19 Vaccine Administration Data
- Vaccine FAQs
- Vaccine Locations
- Vax Verify - Illinois Resident Immunization Portal
- Evaluation of a Booster Dose (Third Dose): Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee Briefing Document (9/17/2021; Pfizer, Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee Meeting)
U.S. Food Drug Administration (FDA)
- FDA COVID-19 Vaccine News and Updates
- Vaccine Basics
- Emergency Use Authorizations — Vaccines
- Video Frequently Asked Questions
- Vaccine Advisory Committee Meetings
- #VaccineReady Social Media Toolkit
- COVID-19 Vaccines & Women Webinar (6/8/2021)
- COVID-19 Vaccine Boosters and COVID-19 Vaccines for Kids (9/20/2021)
- FDA Authorizes Booster Dose of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine for Certain Populations (9/22/2021)
Find a Vaccine Opportunity
Find other vaccine opportunities by visiting coronavirus.illinois.gov or calling 1-833-621-1284.
Masks / Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
CDC Your Guide to Masks: How to select, properly wear, clean, and store masks
CDC: Improve How Your Mask Protects You
CDC: Counterfeit Respirators / Misrepresentation of NIOSH-Approval
Project N95 -- the National Clearinghouse for personal protective equipment and COVID-19 tests
NY Mag: Why You Should Upgrade Your Face Mask -- an interview with Stanford infectious-diseases doctor Abraar Karan
Quarantine and Isolation Guidelines
Variants, Coronavirus, and COVID-19
- CDC: Omicron Variant: What You Need to Know
- CDC:&Potential Rapid Increase of Omicron Variant Infections in the United States
- CDC: Statement on B.1.1.529 (Omicron variant)
- WHO: Classification of Omicron (B.1.1.529): SARS-CoV-2 Variant of Concern
- WHO: Tracking SARS-CoV-2 variants
- HKUMed finds Omicron SARS-CoV-2 can infect faster and better than Delta in human bronchus but with less severe infection in lung
- CDC: Delta Variant: What We Know About the Science
- UK Health Security Agency: Effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines against hospital admission with the Delta (B.1.617.2) variant
- MedRxiv: Interim estimates of increased transmissibility, growth rate, and reproduction number of the Covid-19 B.1.617.2 variant of concern in the United Kingdom
- WHO: Science in 5: Episode #45 - Delta variant
- WHO: Tracking SARS-CoV-2 variants
Coronavirus and COVID-19
Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH)
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- IDPH hotline for questions: 800-889-3931
- Preventing COVID-19 Spread in Communities
- COVID-19 Social Distancing sign/poster
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- CDC Newsroom
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) webpages
- COVID Data Tracker
- Delta Variant: What We Know About the Science
- Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) Weekly - “the voice of CDC;” the agency’s primary vehicle for scientific publication of public health information and recommendations.
- Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) Recommendations and Reports - in-depth articles that relay policy statements for prevention and treatment
- Keeping Workplaces, Homes, Schools, or Commercial Establishments Safe - sign/poster
- Implementation of Mitigation Strategies for Communities with Local COVID-19 Transmission booklet, 10 pages
- Guidelines as to whether or not to stay open during the pandemic
REALM Project: REopening Archives, Libraries, and Museums
U.S. Department of Homeland Security
U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA)
State Library Awards IHLS $125K for E-Resource Purchases for Members (11/23/20, IHLS) - The Illinois Secretary of State (IL SOS)/Illinois State Library (ISL) awarded IHLS $125,000 for the purchase of e-resources for members. The grant funds will allow IHLS to purchase ebooks and e-audiobooks for users of the SHARE cloudLibrary, one of the largest and most heavily utilized digital collections in the state. Users of Axis 360, another large, system-managed digital library, will also see more resources.
New ISL Grants Announced--Apply Now! - A series of grants available to Illinois system-member libraries for books, PPE, and digital network access--two of which are available due to CARES Act Funding
IHLS Grants page - A collection of time-limited and ongoing grand opportunities by the Illinois State Library, American Library Association, and more
Network of the National Library of Medicine Funding Opportunities - A collection of funding opportunities by the NNLM and other organizations
$15 Million in IMLS CARES Act Grants Now Available for Museum and Library Services (5/8/20, IMLS) - Applications for Pandemic Response Funding Due June 12, 2020
IMLS Announces New Stimulus Funding for Communities Across America (4/13/20, IMLS) - $30 Million Infusion to Provide Emergency Relief Through State Libraries
Federal Government Invests $50M in Museums, Libraries to Address Digital Divide During COVID-19 (3/27/20) - CARES Act Designates Funds to Expand Local Internet and Technology Access
FEMA Public Assistance: Local, State, Tribal and Private Non-Profit - "The purpose of the Public Assistance (PA) Grant Program is to support communities’ recovery from major disasters by providing them with grant assistance for debris removal, life-saving emergency protective measures, and restoring public infrastructure. Local governments, states, tribes, territories and certain private nonprofit organizations are eligible to apply."
Information from IEMA regarding Public Assistance (PA) opportunities relating to COVID-19 - (3/31/20) Received by the Illinois Library Association via the Illinois State Library on 3/31/2020
ILA Legal, Financial, and Library Board Governance Resources - "President Trump declared the FEMA-4489-DR-IL major disaster declaration for Illinois on March 26, 2020, as a result of COVID-19 pandemic response that started January 20, 2020 and is continuing. FEMA has designated all counties in Illinois as eligible for funding under Public Assistance (PA) Program, Category B – Emergency Protective Measures. If an eligible organization has or may have at least $3,300 in eligible extraordinary uninsured Category B – Emergency Protective Measure costs, the organization should submit a FEMA Request for Public Assistance (RPA) form to IEMA."
Guidance on Materials Handling, Social Distancing, & Curbside
REALM Project: REopening Archives, Libraries & Museums: A COVID-19 Research Project - "OCLC, the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and Battelle are working to create and distribute science-based information and best-recommended practices designed to reduce the risk of transmission of COVID-19 to staff and visitors who are engaging in the delivery or use of museum, library, and archival services. This research collaboration will provide information on how long the virus survives on surfaces and how—or if—materials can be handled to mitigate exposure."
Interim Guidance for Businesses and Employers to Plan and Respond to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) - Official, evolving guidance by the CDC, including preparing workplaces for an outbreak, reducing transmission among employees, maintaining healthy business operations, maintaining a healthy work environment, and a summary of recent changes to the CDC's guidelines
Curbside Delivery and Reopening Considerations (RAILS) - A guide that includes questions that need to be considered and answered by libraries considering and planning curbside services during the pandemic
IDEA FILE: Phased Reopenings and Virtual Services (IHLS) - An open idea file by IHLS and contributors. See what others are thinking about doing and add your own ideas to the list.
Colorado Library Consortium: Returning to Service – Libraries and COVID-19
MOBIUS's COVID-19 Library Reopening & Resource Sharing/Courier Safety Concerns - A summary of best practices conversations by MOBIUS and other consortia.
CDC's Reopening Guidance for Cleaning and Disinfecting Public Spaces, Workplaces, Businesses, Schools, and Homes - "This guidance is intended for all Americans, whether you own a business, run a school, or want to ensure the cleanliness and safety of your home.IMLS, CDC Offer Guidance for Disinfecting Returned Library Books - (4/9/2020) article by School Library Journal
How to Sanitize Collections in a Pandemic - (3/27/2020) "Conservators weigh in on the mysteries of materials handling during COVID-19" in this article by American Libraries Magazine
COVID-19 Basics: Disinfecting Cultural Resources - A video by the National Center for Preservation Technology and Training (NCPTT) sharing the basics of cleaning and handling cultural resource materials
Disinfecting Books and Other Collections - Evolving guidance from the Northeast Document Conservation Center (NDCC) as to disinfecting books, "based on the current research available from the medical and scientific communities regarding COVID-19"
Recommendations for Library Services During The Covid-19 Pandemic (April 2020, Regents Public Library Advisory Council) - Guidance about reopening that includes a template Pandemic Service and Staffing Plan
Missouri Libraries Reopening Guidelines (April 2020, Missouri State Library)
Getting ahead of the next stage of the coronavirus crisis (April 2020, McKinsey & Company)
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and Cleaning
Team One PPE Order Page for IHLS, RAILS, and ILA Members - As a federal government contractor, Team One can provide Personal Protection Equipment such as masks, gloves, and clear acrylic shields. They have created a dedicated webpage for IHLS, RAILS, and ILA members ordering PPE products. Stock levels are impacted by demand, and out-of-stocks are indicated on the Team One webpage. Team One will fulfill orders on a FIFO basis. For further info and questions contact the sales and customer service team at email@example.com.
PPE Use for Library Staff Webinar
Public Library Reopening/Operation Plans
IDEA FILE: Idease for Phased Reopenings and Virtual Services
Illinois Library Reopening/Pandemic Plans
The following reopening/pandemic operation plans were provided by libraries to be shared with other libraries:
- Bethalto Public Library District Reopening Plans, Bethalto, Ill. (submitted 5/18/20)
- Caseyville Public Library District Graduated Service Levels, Caseyville, Ill. (submitted 5/20/20)
- Catlin Public Library District Return to Services, Catlin, Ill. (submitted 5-21-20)
- Charleston Carnegie Public Library Reopen Plan - DRAFT, Charleston, Ill. (submitted 5/20/20)
- Chatham Area Public Library District Reopening Plan - DRAFT, Chatham, Ill. (submitted 5/14/20)
- Flora Public Library, Library Services Reopening Matrix - DRAFT, Flora, Ill. (submitted 5/14/20)
- Glen Carbon Centennial Library Public Health Policy and Plan - DRAFT, Glen Carbon, Ill. (submitted 5/14/20)
- Hillsboro Area Public Library District Reopening Phased Plans, Hillsboro, Ill. (submitted 5/21/20)
- Marrowbone Public Library District - DRAFT, Bethany, Ill. (submitted 5/15/20)
- Sallie Logan Public Library Reopening Plan - DRAFT, Murphysboro, Ill. (submitted 5/14/20)
- Stinson Memorial Public Library District Phased Reopening on Main Building - DRAFT, Anna, Ill. (submitted 5-21-20)
- Vespasian Warner Public Library Reopening Matrix, Clinton, Ill. (submitted 5/14/20)
- Vernon Area Public Library District Closing Plan, Lincolnshire, Ill.(submitted 03/20)
Sample Employee Policies
Legal & Employment Issues
Family First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA) webinar by the Wage & Hour Division of the U.S. Dept. of Labor —— (date unknown; 5/14/20 or earlier)
Workplace Health and Safety Guidance for Employees and Staff of Businesses —— (4/30/20) Notification from the Illinois Attorney General's Office to employees on what employers should be doing to protect their employees, including social distancing, personal protective equipment, what to do if you have symptoms of COVID-19 or a coworker has the disease, and how to handle employers who are not adequately protecting employees through this guidance. This is a required posting for employers.
Summary of the Core Points of the U.S. Department of Labor's Guidance on Paid Leave Under the Emergency Paid Sick Leave Act & the Emergency Family & Medical Leave Expansion Act —— (3/25/20) Attorney guidance drafted for the Illinois Library Association
U.S. Department of Labor Employee Rights Poster —— (3/2020) This updated poster reflects the changes to the Paid Sick Leave and Expanded Family and Medical Leave Act under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act. This is a required posting for employers, to be posted before April 1, 2020.
Open Meetings Act
Senate Bill 2135 and Required Steps for Virtual Meetings——(6/3/2020) This bill amends the Open Meetings Act and addresses remote participation in meetings of public bodies while under disaster proclamations.These procedures should be adopted immediately. Attorney Phil Lenzini has outlined the required steps for virtual meetings in this article.
Illinois Executive Order 2020-7 / COVID-19 Executive Order No. 5——(3/16/2020) Among other items, this order suspends the provisions of the Illinois Open Meetings Act (OMA) relating to in-person attendance by trustees and members of the public at board meetings and allows remote (audio or video) meetings to be streamed to the public.
- a news interpretation: Pritzker authorizes remote meetings for local governments, public bodies (3/17/20; Capitol News Illinois)
- Guidance to Public Bodies on the Open Meetings Act and the Freedom of Information Act during the COVID-19 Pandemic (updated 4/9/20; Illinois Attorney General's Office)
- a legal interpretation: Illinois Attorney General Issues Guidance on OMA & FOIA (3/18/20; Municipal Minute)
- Further guidance: Conducting Open Meetings during COVID-19 (3/31/20; Municipal Minute)
Have additional questions about OMA compliance? Contact the Public Access Officer for the Illinois Attorney General's Office.
Proclamations & Orders
Illinois COVID-19 Proclamations & Orders
Illinois Disaster Proclamations: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Response —— View all of the State of Illinois disaster proclamations regarding the pandemic; most proclamations are available in English, Arabic, Polish, Chinese, Spanish, Hindi, and Tagalog
Federal Acts and Guidelines
Guidelines for Opening Up America Again —— President Trump has unveiled Guidelines for Opening Up America Again, a three-phased approach based on the advice of public health experts. These steps will help state and local officials when reopening their economies, getting people back to work, and continuing to protect American lives.
H.R.6201 - Families First Coronavirus Response Act —— (3/18/2020) ;Public Law No: 116-127 —— "This bill responds to the COVID-19 (i.e., coronavirus disease 2019) outbreak by providing paid sick leave, tax credits, and free COVID-19 testing; expanding food assistance and unemployment benefits; and increasing Medicaid funding."
Family First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA) webinar by the& Wage & Hour Division of the U.S. Dept. of Labor
American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) of 2021
Economic Impact Payment Information Center
CARES Act (Coronavirus Air, Relief, and Economic Security Act)
Families First Coronavirus Response Act
U.S. Chamber of Commerce COVID-19 "Your Health is Our #1 Priority. Here are the actions we are taking" customizable flyer
IHLS Resources for Illinois (and All) Libraries
TO DOWNLOAD AN IMAGE
FROM AN IPHONE/IPAD: Tap-hold image >> tap Save Image
FROM AN ANDROID DEVICE: Tap-hold image >> tap Download Image
FROM A MAC PC: Control-click image >> tap Save Image As WINDOWS PC: Right-click image >> tap Save Image As...
IMAGE ALT TEXT:
12 Ready-to-Print & Ready-to-Color Designs for Social Distancing Scavenger Hunts. Images of two hearts that say "We got this!", two teddy bears, and two hearts that say, "Smile." Of each pair, one is black and white like a coloring page and the other is full-color. Brought to you by IHLS Illinois Heartland Library System and Your Library.
POST TEXT 1:
Want to promote #SocialDistancing AND physical activity this weekend? Join the Heart Hunters and Bear Hunters movement with these 12 Ready-to-Print and Ready-to-Color Designs from @Illinois Heartland Library System and YOUR LIBRARY https://www.illinoisheartland.org/blog/040320SocialDistancingScavengerHunts
Alternatively, put the links on your library's site and use your own link!
FROM AN IPHONE/IPAD: Tap-hold to highlight part of the text, then drag selection markers to highlight text >> click Copy icon& OR Tap-hold to highlight part of the text, then drag selection markers to highlight text >> click Copy from menu FROM AN ANDROID DEVICE: Tap-hold to highlight part of the text, then drag selection markers to highlight text >> tap Copy MAC PC: Click-drag cursor to highlight desired text >> Right-click highlighted text >> COMMAND+C WINDOWS PC: Click-drag cursor to highlight desired text >> Right-click highlighted text >> Copy OR Click-drag cursor to highlight desired text >> Right-click highlighted text >> CTRL+C
IMAGE ALT TEXT:
Woman with forlorn expression covered in books. Can't place interlibrary loan holds or pick up library materials? Don't despair. Check out your library's digital branch! Logo 1: SHARE: Sharing Heartland's Available Resources Equally. Logo 2: IHLS: Illinois Heartland Library System. Together providing resource sharing, interlibrary delivery, and other services for the libraries of central and southern Illinois.
POST TEXT 1:
Looking for e-books or e-audiobooks? If you have a [library name] library card, you can instantly access hundreds of titles through [Hoopla, cloudLibrary, Libby, rbDigital, Kanopy, TumbleBooks, etc.]. Learn more by visiting the [library] virtual branch at [link]
POST TEXT 2:
You may not be able to place holds on items from other libraries - nope, they don't save - but you CAN place holds on items at your library, which will be processed whenever libraries reopen and @Illinois Heartland Library System delivery services resume. Meanwhile, check your library's website to see all of the e-books, e-audios, and movies that may be available at your library!
...then paste the text into your social media post.
TO COPY TEXT:
Sample Library COVID-19 Response Pages
Six Mile Regional Library District (IHLS member)
Schaumburg Township Public Library District (RAILS member)
Agencies & Departments
Illinois Department of Human Services - find help regarding food, shelter, help at home, medical, recovery, and emotional/mental health
E-Resources & Virtual Programming
Illinois Heartland Library System & Members
Amazing Educational Resources - Database of education companies offering free subscriptions due to school closings
5 Remote Services Libraries Can Provide - Another library (source unknown, unfortunately!) created a list of remote services your library can provide.
Resources for Patrons - Looking to expand e-resources? View our searchable and filterable database of Resources for Patrons. Many of the resources are discounted or free while schools are not in session and workers are at home due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
SLJ COVID-19 Publisher Information Directory - Virtual read alouds: what's legal under copyright? This directory is a compilation of children's publishers that have temporarily altered policies.
Call 4 Calm - Call 4 Calm is a free emotional-support text line where you can speak with a mental health professional. Text “TALK” (English) or "HABLAR" (Spanish) to 552020.
Domestic Violence Helpline - 1-877-863-6338
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - 1-800-273-8255
Illinois Suicide Prevention Hotlines - Suicide prevention hotlines by Illinois county
Temporary Discounted or Free Internet Access
Comcast and Xfinity Internet - 60 days free "Internet Essentials" service for new customers
Xfinity Wi-Fi Hotspot Access - Free Wi-Fi hotspot access for all at all existing business hotspot locations; find one using their interactive map
Charter Spectrum Internet - 60 days free Internet access for new K-12 and college student households
ARTICLE: American Library Association recommends libraries leave WiFi open during closures
Library Staff Continuing Education
Continuing Education Resources
developed by IHLS and contributors
An additional database, IHLS's COVID-19 Webinars database, is still accessible but is no longer supported
Organizations' COVID-19 Response Pages
Occupational Safety and Hazard Administration (OSHA) -- Protecting Workers: Guidance on Mitigating and Preventing the Spread of COVID-19 in the Workplace
U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) -- Coronavirus and COVID-19 page
U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) -- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
Illinois Library Association (ILA)
Illinois State Library
Reaching Across Illinois Library System
Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS)
American Library Association (ALA)
- ALA News & Press Center
- ALA State of America's Libraries Report 2021
- American Library Association: Pandemic Preparedness Resources for Libraries webpage
- ALA 3/13/20 Statement on COVID-19
Illinois State Board of Education
American Association of School Librarians (AASL)
Pandemic Resources for School Librarians
U.S. Department of Education
State of Illinois Coronavirus (COVID-19) Response
Illinois Department of Commerce & Economic Opportunity (DCEO)
Frequently Asked Questions on Masking for Businesses
Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH)
- Mask and Vaccine Requirements FAQ's
- Guidance on the Use of Masks by the General Public
- Guidance for Fully Vaccinated People
- Business and Organization Guidance
- FAQ for Businesses Concerning Use of Face-Coverings During COVID-19
- Community Organizations Guidance
- Guidance for COVID-19 Prevention in K-12 Schools
- Guidance for Pre-K-12 Schools and Day Care Programs for Addressing COVID-19
- COVID-19 School Guidance FAQs
- COVID-19 Vaccine
- Children & Pregnant Women Guidance
- Pregnant Women and Newborns
- Concerned but not Exposed
- Potential Exposure
- Confirmed or Possible COVID-19
- Individuals Undergoing COVID-19 Testing
- Provider Guidance for Testing
- Quarantine Guidance
- Phase 5 Guidance for Businesses and Venues